Sunday, July 15, 2007

86th Time's a Charm!

I've always been the type of person that believes in keeping a journal. There's something very romantic about it, the idea that one can narrate his life through the years and at the end of the day have a nice little...uh...narrative. I recently added "The Reagan Diaries" to my wish list on Amazon.com; it seems like we have quite a fascination with people's diaries...MTV had a show for a while called Diary, I'm not sure if its still on...I remember it started with a line saying, "You may think you know, but you have no idea." Very mysterious indeed. Of course my boyhood hero Doogie Howser M.D. kept a diary on his personal computer...very avant-garde at the time. As a young person I remember the fascination with reading other people's diaries to find out who they liked, brothers would steal their big sister's diaries to use as bargaining chips during intense conflicts...I didn't grow up with any brothers or sisters, but this is what Hollywood taught me.

ANYway, I still have a fascination with the idea of recording everyday life....thus, the blog. I have journaled off and on for much of my life....I go in streaks normally of about a month or two with year long gaps in between. Then, once I come back to the journal I always regret not journaling in so long and attempt an extensive multi-page summary of all the events missed during my time off...sometimes its fun, other times pure torture.

This blog will not replace my journal (that's private of course...I wonder if Reagen knew his "private" diary would one day be on the NY Times Bestseller list), but I am excited at the idea of having a medium to think out loud and let some of my friends see and think aloud with me. Ideas aren't much fun unless you can discuss them among friends.

Digg this
Google